I think we all have a dream that we would love to attain but it seems out of reach. We think about it and imagine how awesome it would be if our dream came true. For some, that’s where it ends; a dream that would be life changing but doesn’t come true. For others, they turn that dream into a reality by working towards it, every single day.
I like to turn my dreams into goals. Because if I’m not actively working towards my dreams they’ll never come true. One of my biggest dreams was to run a marathon. I’d dream about it a lot and imagine how it would feel to actually complete it. It was a dream that scared me but it never went away. It was always in the back of my mind when I would go for any run. I’d envision the finish line and knew that one day I would have to make my dream a reality. In order for that to happen I had to work towards it. You can’t just go run a marathon. Well you could try but it would be really awful. What you’re supposed to do is pick a race, sign up for it and train. You know what was the hardest part for me? Actually deciding on a race and registering for it. Doing that made my dream a possible reality. Living your dream is scary because in the back of your mind you think “What if I fail? What if my dream doesn’t come true? What if I don’t have it in me to do this?”.
Going for your dream is a risk, but it’s a risk worth taking. You’re going to have moments along the way that you face setbacks and you want to quit. I faced them as I was training for my dream. I got injured and it completely derailed my training. I didn’t know if I would be able to even try to run the race. When those setbacks come it would be easy to throw in the towel and give up. But pushing through each setback that comes your way is the only choice you have to get to your dream. There isn’t a shortcut or express lane to the finish. It’s going to take hard work and dedication. You might have to change the path to get there but don’t lose sight of your dream. I made it through all my setbacks and I did achieve my dream. Looking back I can tell you that it was worth every second of hardship, doubt and struggle.
Have you turned your dreams into goals? Have you set a path in motion to make your dream a reality?
Here’s my advice on making your dream a reality:
1. Don’t be afraid to dream big but be realistic enough to know that it might take time. Don’t give up on your dream because it might take time because the time is going to pass anyways.
2. Reverse engineer your dream: Write your dreams down and then figure out how to get there. You know where you want to go, now look at each step you’ll have to take to get there. Start with the first step. There might be 1,000 small steps to take to get to your dream but each one is important and each step prepares you for it too. Getting to your dream isn’t one big leap but a 1,000 little small steps in the right direction.
3. When you face a setback you might have to change your path towards your dream. Be flexible but relentless at the same time. Don’t lose sight of where you’re going.
4. Surrond yourself with people who believe in you and your dreams. They’ll be the ones who will help you when you need it the most.
5. Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever does. You’re going to have moments of doubt. You’re going to think you don’t have it in you to follow your dreams. That doubt is a liar, don’t believe it.
6. Remember that if it were easy everyone would do it. This dream is yours and it’s worth every sacrifice, every tear and every struggle.
7. If you make one dream a reality, don’t stop dreaming. There’s room in your life for many dreams.
8. Encourage others to go for their dreams. Help them along the path and support them too.
Your dreams aren’t the same as my dreams. Everyone has different ones that they’re working towards and sometimes they change as we go through different seasons of life. The important thing to remember is to never stop dreaming and never stop working towards them. You have it in you to achieve your dreams. Don’t sit on the sidelines and watch other people get what they want, start working towards what you want. You can make your dream a reality.